I had this porridge for my breakfast this morning instead of oats. I made it with the left over cooked black rice that I had in the fridge. It tasted nutty and delicious and I enjoyed eating it and wished there was more….
The health benefits of Black rice are amazing. It is a naturally gluten free grain, a super food that can keep you healthy. You will be surprised to know that it is packed with 18 amino acids and loaded with vitamins (a good source of vitamin B and E), minerals, is rich in iron and full of antioxidants. A spoonful of black rice has more antioxidants than a spoonful of blue berries. It is called a super food because of its high nutritive content and is known to prevent major diseases like cancer, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, and lowers the risk of heart attack, also helps reduce levels of bad cholesterol (LDL). Studies show that Black rice contains a large amount of anthocyanin, an ingredient capable of controlling cholesterol levels than any other supplement available today. Read more about black rice here
For best results in cooking Black rice, it has to be soaked overnight. Otherwise it takes longer to cook. It is better to cook it in the water it has been soaking in as its nutrients would be lost.
1 cup black rice
1.5 litres (6 cups) of water
1 small sliced onion
1 tsp butter / olive oil
1/4 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tbs salt
1 tsp chopped cilantro
1. Wash the rice 2 or 3 times and soak it in water overnight. There should be at least 2 inches of water above the rice.
2. Bring to boil 1.5 litres of water in a pot. Add the black rice and 1/2 tbs of salt.
3. Turn down the heat and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Stir one or two times just to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
4. Check to see if the rice is soft and cooked, but not mushy. If not, then add a little more water and simmer for some more time.
5. To a sauce pan on medium heat add the butter or olive oil and fry the sliced onion till soft and golden.
6. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry with the onions.
7. To this add the cooked black rice and 1 cup of water. Let it simmer till the water evaporates and starts thickening. When it attains porridge consistency, remove from heat.
8. Garnish with a little chopped cilantro and serve warm. Good as a breakfast cereal. Very tasty and delicious.